Adorning your home with spooky embellishments to scare tick-or-treaters or partygoers is all part of the fun when it comes to celebrating Halloween. However, there are some types of decoration that can pose a risk to your home and to your beloved feline. Candles and lit pumpkins are two of the most common Halloween decorations, but they also pose the biggest threat because they are the most dangerous.
The tradition of carving a pumpkin, or creating a Jack-O’-Lantern, with a scary face harks back to the 1800s, but it is still incredibly popular today. People would place a candle inside the pumpkin to cause it to glow in the darkness, and in the past, myths said that placing a lit Jack-O’-Lantern outside your property would ward off evil spirits. Today, people use them to let other know that they are celebrating Halloween and that trick-or-treaters are welcome.
Candles are also incredibly popular since they help to create eerie shadows and a spooky atmosphere that is perfect for Halloween.
As most of us know, any sort of flame is a potential hazard and fire crews and first responders continually educate people on the importance of never leaving a candle unattended. Unfortunately, many people forget about this rule over Halloween and the number of fires reported during the season spikes year or year.
Why you should never let your cat near candles or lit pumpkins this Halloween
Lit pumpkins and candles are a significant hazard anyway, but if you are a cat owner, the risks associated with their use are significantly higher for several reasons. Felines may be highly intelligent, but while your furbaby may realize that fire is hot and to keep away from it, she may not understand that just knocking the shelf or unit that the candle is standing on, or touching the non-flame part of the candle, could cause it to fall.
Cats are also well known for their loving of jumping and climbing, and this means that even if you think you have put your candles and lit pumpkins out of reach, chances are your cat can get to them anyway. All it takes is a slight wobble of a shelf, or a flick of her tail to knock a candle over and cause the surrounding area to catch light.
Unfortunately, fires can get out of control very quickly if someone doesn’t notice them immediately. This means that your home could sustain serious damage from a pumpkin or candle that has been knocked over within minutes. In addition to the damage to your home, you may also find that your beloved kitty becomes seriously injured. Her coat could catch alight, or she may suffer burns to her body that could potentially be life-threatening.
An alternative to candles
Fortunately, there are alternatives to candles that are just as effective both as standalone decorations and in pumpkins. You can purchase flameless and LED candles from a variety of different stores. These generate a soft light just like regular candles, and many even flicker too, generating the eerie atmosphere that is perfect for celebrating Halloween.
Keep your home and cat safe this Halloween by ditching real candles in favor of an artificial alternative. If you need more advice on the best ways to prepare for this Halloween with your pets, our knowledgeable team would be happy to offer their expertise. Please contact us by telephoning our offices in Destin, FL today.